Multi-format kits that contain a number of developmentally appropriate materials—books, CDs, DVDs, toys or other manipulatives, and a resource guide on various subjects.
All kits are packaged in sturdy containers and may be checked out for three weeks.
The Library offers the following kits for use at home:
|Alzheimer’s Disease||Life Cycles|
|Blended Families||Measurements and Weights|
|Chicka Chicka Boom Boom*||Mouse Paint*|
|Community Helpers (puzzle)||Numbers and Letters|
|Community Helpers (figures)||Nursery and Preschool|
|Cultures of the World||Nursery Rhymes|
|The Dentist||Potty Training for Boys|
|Dinosaurs||Potty Training for Girls|
|Diverse Abilities||Potty Training for Her|
|Divorce||Potty Training for Him|
|The Doctor||Pre-reading Skills|
|The Doorbell Rang*||Pre-writing Skills|
|Dyslexia||Shapes and Colors|
|Earth & Environment||Shapes|
|Family Heritage||Starting School|
|Farm Animals||Stranger Danger|
|Feelings||Telling the Truth|
|Grandmother’s Death||Wild Animals|
|Health & Safety|
|Hibernation (Time to Sleep)||* bilingual kit|
Thematic Kit Guidelines
1. Thematic Kits are checked out in the Tomie dePaola Children’s Library. (KITS MAY NOT BE USED INSIDE THE LIBRARY BUILDING DUE TO THE POTENTIAL FOR LOST PARTS)
2. Patron will return Kits to the Children’s Library.
3. Patron is responsible for all contents in the Kit. There will be a charge for lost items, including replacement of the whole set (where items cannot be purchased individually).
4. There will be a replacement cost for damaged media containers.
5. Meriden Public Library charges $1.00 per day in late fees on Thematic Kits.
6. Thematic Kits circulate for three (3) weeks.
7. Thematic Kits cannot be renewed.
8. Maximum of one (1) Kit per household, per circulation cycle.
9. Children’s Library staff must examine contents of Thematic Kit with patron before checking out/discharging kits.
10. Thematic Kits are checked out with an adult library card.